1) Students will sort fact and opinion statements on the flipchart or whiteboard.
2) Teacher will pose problem of needing to decide what to purchase for indoor recess. Students will brainstorm ideas and post ideas on the flipcart or whiteboard.
3) Teacher will model indoor recess opinion writing on flipchart or whiteboard.
4) Students will write their opinion rough drafts and edit and revise with a partner.
5) Teacher will post her opinion on Kidblog as an example.
6) Students will post their opinions about indoor recess on Kidblog.
7) Students will comment on each other's posts on Kidblog.
8) Teacher introduces Toondoo as a website that allows students to make comic strips that can be used to visually represent their opinions. Here is a tutorial to get you started on Toondoo.
Here is a PDF cheatsheet for using Toondoo, also available at http://learninglanguagespld.wikispaces.com/file/view/ToonDoo+Directions.pdf
9) Students will create and embed a visual representation of their opinion to Kidblog, using PowerPoint, Pixie, or Toondoo.
Toondoo - Legos
9) Students will respond to any comments on Kidblog
10) Using student feedback from the blog, the teacher will choose the top three and students will vote using Plickers.
For a detailed copy of the lesson plan, the student writing checklist, and the rubric, see the attachments below:
Here are downloads of the three sample visual images done.